From low-key groups to cool venues.
For some people, the New Year may seem like they don’t drink much alcohol, or they don’t drink at all.
Vancouver has a calm and curious community, with groups like Sober Babes and Van Sober for locals to socialize and meet friends, but replace a drunken night out with non-alcoholic activities. And some people are at a loss.
Luckily, there are plenty of non-drinking activities around Vancouver. Here are some activities to try alone or with friends.
- Start roller skating at PNE’s Rollerland.
- Challenge your friends to a board game at Turquoise Goat.
- Go bowling with your buddies at Commodore Lanes. There is also a pool table if you want a change of pace.
- Keep an eye out for block parties and festivals such as the Celebration of Light Fireworks, Vancouver Mural Festival, Hatsarano Street Party, Italian Days in the summer, and many light displays, the Santa Claus Parade, and the Winter Arts Festival in the winter.
- Vancouver has a lot of delicious food. Join a Vancouver Food Tour or go on a self-guided adventure. Either way, there is a whole city of food to nibble on.
- Indulge in new interests like glass blowing at Terminal City Glass or archery at Lycopis. You can also stop by MakerLabs Newbie Night to see some cool crafty hobbies you might want to try.
- Peruse local markets, from farmers markets to unique pop-up markets such as Weirdos Holiday Market and the first-ever Holiday Cat Market. It’s usually held on weekends, so you can’t miss it.
- Join a walking tour and learn about the city.
- Volunteer within your community, whether it’s Thanksgiving, the holidays, or any other time of the year.
- Check out Vancouver’s comedy scene. We’ve rounded up the best comedians and comedy venues in the city.
- Try the Exit Canada escape room instead of a night out. You can also enter for free on your birthday!
- Discover new music and go to some concerts. Fortunately, 2023 will see many must-see performers coming to Vancouver.
- Join MeetUp groups to meet people with similar interests: movies, NFTs, game development, tasting new foods, boozy chess, writing, tennis, spikeball, polar bear swimming, dancing, and more.
- Treat yourself to a facial or destination spa.