The sports ministry on Saturday suspended all activities of the Indian Wrestling Federation (WFI) until a supervisory board was “formally appointed to take over day-to-day activities.”・Amongst allegations of sexual harassment against Bhushan Sharan Singh. This would also include suspending ongoing ranking competitions and returning entry fees collected from participants for ongoing activities, the government was quoted by news agency ANI.
Earlier in the day, the ministry suspended WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar in the wake of the grappler’s allegations of sexual harassment and corruption against heads of sports bodies. The Open Championship that was scheduled to start at the base has also been cancelled.
Read more | WFI Deputy Director Vinod Tomar Suspended from Sports Ministry
The WFI has rejected all allegations made by the wrestler’s protest group against Brij Bhushan Singh, claiming the agitation was motivated by a “hidden plot to get rid of the current management.”
“The WFI, especially under the incumbent president, has always acted with the best interests of the wrestlers in mind,” it said.
Read more | Brij Bhushan on fire says he will attend Sunday’s Wrestling Federation AGM
A group of 30 wrestlers including Olympic medalists Sakshi Malik and Bajrang Punia, World Championship medalists Binesh Phogat, Sarita Mo, Sangeeta Phogat, Satyawart Malik, Jitender Kinha and CWG medalist Sumit Malik , staged a sit-in protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi. Earlier this week.
But the grapplers called off their protests last night after receiving assurances from the government that their grievances would be addressed.
The allegation comes months after the coach of the country’s national cycling team was sacked over allegations of sexual harassment.