New Delhi,Updated: Jan 21, 2023 23:37 IST
Rahul Rawat: The Ministry of Sports on Saturday ordered the Indian wrestling federation to immediately halt all ongoing activities. This comes after the ministry decided to appoint an oversight committee to investigate allegations of sexual harassment against female wrestlers by WFI president Brij Bhushan Singh.
The ministry said the WFI will suspend all ongoing activities until a supervisory board is formally appointed and takes over day-to-day functions.
The wrestling organization was also asked to cancel the ongoing ranking tournament in Gonda, Uttar Pradesh. The ministry has directed his WFI to refund the entry fees charged to event attendees.
READ ALSO | WFI President Brij Bhushan Singh Under Investigation For Sexual Harassment Allegations: Anurag Thakur
In a separate order, the Ministry of Sports issued an order to s.Fired Vinod Tomar, Deputy Director of the WFI, It takes effect immediately. The ministry said Tomar’s continued presence in the WFI was “harmful.”
Following his suspension, Vinod Tomar said he was unaware of such developments.
READ ALSO | ‘Malicious, unfounded’: Wrestling organization writes letter to Ministry of Sports over sexual harassment allegations
What we know so far
Bajrang Punia, Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik and many other wrestlers launched a protest against the WFI on January 18th. Phogat alleged that Brij Bhushan Sharan was harassing female wrestlers.
The wrestler also alleges that multiple coaches at the UP’s National Camp in Lucknow exploited female wrestlers.
Vinesh Phogat also said he had contemplated suicide because of the treatment he received from the WFI President, who is also a member of parliament (MP) of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of Uttar Pradesh. However, Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh denied all allegations and said that if any of the wrestlers came forward and confirmed Vinesh’s allegations, he would hang himself.
The WFI on Saturday denied all allegations leveled against its president, Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, including sexual harassment. The federation said the allegations against Singh were “malicious and baseless”.
The protesting wrestlers called off the agitation late on Friday night, Jan. 20, after receiving assurances from the government that their complaints against the president of the Indian wrestling federation and other members of its management would be addressed. bottom.
READ ALSO | WFI Controversy: Wrestler Stops Protests, Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh Stands Aside Until Investigation Is Completed